25 May Sausage Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 4 large bell peppers of any color (we prefer red, yellow or orange for the mellow flavor, but green works well too)
- 1 lb Zeigler’s Hot Italian Sausage or Fresh Kielbasa (casings removed)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup cooked rice (brown or white, whichever you prefer)
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can (15 ounces) of tomato sauce (or marinara) divided
- Cut bell peppers in half length-wise and remove seeds and stems. Place peppers in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil; cook for three minutes. Drain and immediately place in ice water, then invert on paper towels to drain.
- In a skillet cook sausages and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. I like to keep the juices in the pan, but feel free to drain.
- Remove from heat, stir in half of the tomato sauce, rice, thyme, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon mixture into pepper halves.
- Place in a shallow 2-3qt baking dish (depending on size of peppers) and drizzle with remaining tomato sauce. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Optional: Sprinkle with cheese of your choice and put under the broiler for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
*Recipe adapted from Tasteofhome.com