25 May Grilled Sausage and Cornbread Salad
- ½ cup of olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, puréed
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 large ripe tomatoes or 1 pint of cherry or grape tomatoes
- ½ red onion, small dice
- 1 avocado, peeled and coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro or parsley (or more to taste)
- 1 lb Zeigler’s Sausages (Hot Italian or Fresh Kielbasa)
- 2 cups cubed cornbread (A great cornbread recipe can be found here)
- Build a fire in the grill and let it die down to medium. (You should be able to hold your hand about 5 inches above the grill rack for 4 to 5 seconds.)
- Meanwhile, make the salad and dressing:
- Whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, puréed chilis, cumin, then add salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine the tomatoes, avocado, onion, and cilantro or parsley and toss gently to combine. Add the dressing to taste, and gently toss again. Set aside.
- Toast the cornbread: spread out the cubes on a baking sheet and bake at 325 to 350° F for about 10 minutes, turning once or twice, until golden brown.
- Put the sausages on the grill and cook, 5 to 8 minutes per side. When the sausages are done, slice them neatly on the diagonal so they keep their shape. Alternately, you can keep them whole, and serve with a fork and knife.
- Add the toasted cornbread to the salad and toss gently, adding more dressing to taste. Divide the salad among four plates, top with the grilled sausage, and serve.
*Recipe adapted from Let the Flames Begin: Tips, Techniques, and Recipes for Real Live Fire Cooking